To recognize scientific excellence, the European Association of Geochemistry bestows awards annually, at the Goldschmidt conference.
The EAG awards include:
- The Urey Award for outstanding contributions advancing geochemistry over a career.
- The Houtermans Award for exceptional contributions to geochemistry made by scientists under 35 years old or within 6 years of their PhD.
- The Science Innovation Award for an important and innovative breakthrough in geochemistry. The subject area of this award differs every year, according to a 5 year cycle. The areas covered are: climatology, isotope geochemistry, low temperature and surface geochemistry, petrology and mineral physics, and biogeochemistry. The recipient must be between 35 and 55 years old.
- The Distinguished Service Award for outstanding service to the geochemical community, exceeding the expectations of normal service.
The awards bestowed jointly by the EAG and the Geochemical Society include:
- The Gast Lectureship, awarded to a mid-career scientist for outstanding contributions to geochemistry.
- The Geochemical Fellows, honorary title bestowed upon scientists who have made major contributions to the field of geochemistry.
Ensure the recognition of deserving scientists and make a nomination before 31 October for Geochemical Fellows and before 15 November for all other EAG awards.
See photos of past awards on our Facebook page.