The EAG Short Course and Conference Sponsorship Program is open to EAG members who are organizing a short course or small conference in Europe focused on special topics or techniques from the broad field of geochemistry. The program aims to directly support student attendance at the event.
The EAG provides a budget of 3,000 Euros for this program. One or several events may be sponsored each year.
Apply for sponsorship
If you are an EAG member and are organizing a short course or small conference in Europe in 2024, you can apply for EAG sponsorship. Short courses or small conferences should have at least 10 participants and focus on special topics or techniques from the broad field of geochemistry. The short courses or small conferences should be based in Europe. The event can be organized in conjunction with a Goldschmidt conference in Europe. Please note we will not prioritize EU or national funded events.
Following the short course or small conference, sponsored students may be requested to produce a one-page report on their experience. Some of those reports will be published on the EAG Blog.
For events taking place in 2024, the application deadline is 1 November 2023.
Applications for online as well as hybrid and in-person events will be considered.
In 2023, the EAG is proud to be co-sponsoring:
Lausanne, Switzerland, and online, 7-8 July 2023
The 2-day hybrid SIMS workshop, held at the University of Lausanne before the Goldschmidt Conference in Lyon, aims to gather specialists and experts in Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (SIMS and NanoSIMS) to cover technical and scientific aspects of geochemical micro and nanoanalysis. The workshop will bring together scientists and students, laboratory managers and instrument manufacturers to discuss the state-of-the-art of SIMS and NanoSIMS analysis and scientific results. The workshop will include 6 lectures from invited speakers, laboratory tours, discussion sessions and extended poster presentations from the participants. See the website for further information. Abstract & Registration deadline: 1 May 2023
Monte Verità, Ascona, Switzerland, 19-22 July 2023
Held every 2 years, DINGUE is a geochemistry workshop covering all technical and scientific aspects of noble gas geo- and cosmochemistry. The scientific program will contain both talks and posters. A rich social program is planned. Accommodation and meals will be organized on the conference grounds, providing ample time for informal discussions. The 4th Pete Burnard Award, recognising an early-career scientist who has made a significant contribution to the analytical development and advancement of noble gas measurements will be presented during the workshop. See the website for information on registration, travel support and award nominations. Abstract submission deadline: 19 June 2023
São Miguel Island, Azores, 28 August – 5 September 2023
The 11th Workshop on Volcanic Lakes will bring together scientists from a wide range of disciplines to enable the exchange of ideas on a broad range of topics, including: state-of-the-art field measurement techniques; geochemical, geophysical, and microbiological characteristics and monitoring of volcanic lakes; modeling of volcanic lake system processes, and hazard forecasting and mitigation. CVL 11 will offer formal scientific sessions and field visits to volcanic areas where intracaldera lakes exist. Grants to cover the registration costs of selected candidates are available. Preference will be given to graduate students and early career scientists that work on volcanic lakes, especially in Low and Middle Income Countries (see the Second circular for more information).
Grant application deadline: 24 February | Abstract & Registration deadline: 3 March 2023
Former sponsored short courses and conferences
- 12th International Symposium Geochemistry of the Earth’s Surface 24-29 July 2022, Zurich, Switzerland
- Forming and Exploring Habitable Worlds 7-13 November 2022, Edinburgh, UK, and online
- 8th International Clumped Isotope Workshop 19-22 September 2022, Jerusalem, Israel
- Virtual Short Course: Recent Developments and Applications in earth sciences of electron probe micro-analysis 5-9 April 2021
- ContaSed2021: 2nd International Conference on Contaminated Sediments, 9-12 June 2021, Bern, Switzerland
- Tools in Biogeochemistry, 11-16 August 2019, University of Tuebingen, Germany
- DINGUE VI: Developments in Noble Gas Understanding and Expertise, 15-17 August 2019, ETH Zürich, Switzerland
- Wageningen Soil Conference 2019, 27-30 August 2019, Wageningen, the Netherlands
- Uranium-Biogeo: International conference on uranium biogeochemistry, 21-26 October 2018, CSF – Monte Veritá Ascona, Switzerland
- International Short Course on Application of Laser Ablation Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry to Earth Sciences, 7-9 June 2017, Perugia, Italy
- Petrochronology: Methods and applications, 22-23 April 2017, Vienna, Austria
- 4th International Workshop on Highly Siderophile Element Geochemistry, 11-15 July 2016, University of Durham, UK
- 32nd International Conference on Environmental Geochemistry and Health, 4-8 July 2016, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
- AIG-11 : Applied Isotope Geochemistry Conference, 21-25 September 2015, French Geological Survey (BRGM), Orléans, France
- Nutrient Cycling on the Modern and Ancient Earth conference, 6-7 July 2015, School of Earth & Environment, University of Leeds, UK
- Deep Earth Processes, windows on the workings of a planet, 15-16 September 2014, Geological Society of London, UK
- Geochemistry of the Earth’s surface (GES-10), 18-22 August 2014, Collège des Bernardins, Paris, France
- DINGUE 3: Developments in Noble Gas Understanding and Expertise, 24-25 August 2013, Italy
- Pushing forward boron isotope analytics: Advancing methodologies, analytical uncertainty and inter-comparability of data, 24-25 August 2013 at the Institute of Geosciences and Earth Resources, Pisa, Italy
- Redox-active Minerals: Properties, Reactions and Applications in Clean Technologies, 25 August 2013 at the University of Florence, Italy
- Gemstones: Their Geology and Gemmology, 3-5 December 2012, University of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Nuts and bolts of isotope ratio mass spectrometry, 9-11 January 2012 at the School of Earth Sciences, University of Bristol, UK
- Advanced Tools in Environmental Biogeochemistry, 7-11 August 2011, University of Tuebingen, Germany.