As the European Association of Geochemistry wishes to support students training in geochemistry, each year EAG sponsors 12 students up to 1000 Euros per student to attend geochemistry related short courses, summer schools, workshops or conferences located in Europe, except for the Goldschmidt conference*, or to participate in short research stays** at a host institute in Europe. Students do not need to present any talk or poster at the event.
Remote attendance at fully virtual or hybrid events (held in any country) is also supported by the program. Successful applicants will receive sponsorship to cover the registration and abstract fees for participating in the virtual event.
*The Goldschmidt Grant Program provides support to early career scientists to attend Goldschmidt conferences.
**Short research stays are defined as visits of one week minimum to a host institute in Europe, for purposes of internship, training or analyses (excluding field work).
Applicants should be EAG members (check membership or join / renew) and the event that the applicant wishes to attend (or research stay) should take place a minimum of 4 weeks after the application deadline. Sponsorship applications should be submitted through the online form below, with the following documents:
- Cover Letter (1.5 page maximum)
- Short CV (1 page maximum)
- Applicant’s abstract (if applicable) or short summary of scientific goals
- Letter (or email) of recommendation from the student’s supervisor (addressed to the Committee), supporting the applicant’s attendance at the event/research stay.
- (Research stays only) Letter from host institution confirming their commitment to host the applicant for the research stay.
- Proof of payment of accommodation/event registration in the student’s name (if those documents are only available after the event, they should be sent within one month)
Following the event or research stay, sponsored students should provide a short report on their experience (both personal and scientific), including a few photos. Some of those reports will be published on the EAG Blog.
Deadlines to send applications are 1 February, 1 May, 1 September and 1 December. A response from EAG will then be given within four weeks following each deadline.
Note that it is not possible to be sponsored twice in the same year, or to receive sponsorship for an event already sponsored by EAG (see sponsored events). Students can apply every year but priority will be given to students who haven’t received funding yet.
How will my application be evaluated?
Applications will be evaluated by the Committee according to the following criteria, as expressed by the candidate in their application:
- Impact/Motivation (50%) Candidate’s motivation for attending the event/research stay; scientific background in relation to the event and the stage of their career (e.g. workshop, research stay, international conference; Masters, early PhD, late PhD); impact of attending the event/research stay on career prospects; consideration of how the goals of the event relate to their project and career stage.
- Scientific quality of candidate & abstract/scientific goals (30%) Quality of abstract/scientific goals; quality of the candidate in relation to their career stage and achievements that are relevant to the event (e.g., original papers, learning of critical skills, development of methods…).
- Need (20%) Applicant’s need for EAG sponsorship to attend the event/research stay; what other funding sources are potentially available to the candidate.
Submit your application here: