- all EAG operated websites: the EAG website, EAG Blog, Geochemical Perspectives website and Geochemical Perspectives Letters website
- Goldschmidt Conference websites
- PeerTrack, the platform for submission of Geochemical Perspectives Letters manuscripts
What information does EAG collect and how is it collected?
Your personal information is collected directly from you when you:
- Become an EAG member: when you become a member, we collect your name, email address, postal address, invoice address, organisation, field of research and if applicable your proof of student status
- Make a donation: we collect your name, email address, and country of residence
- Subscribe to EAG newsletters: we collect your email address
- Subscribe to EAG Blog updates: we collect your email address
- Subscribe to Geochemical Perspectives Letters e-alerts: we collect your name and email address
- Purchase print copies of Geochemical Perspectives: we collect your name, email address, postal address and invoice address
- Post a job advertisement: we collect your name and email address
- Submit an application for the Student Sponsorship or Early Career Science Ambassador Programs: we collect your name, email address, EAG membership number, CV, and, if applicable, abstract and proofs of payments to third parties.
- Submit an award nomination: we collect the name, email address, institution address, date of birth and CV of the nominee, and the name, email address, institution address of the nominator.
- Participate in photo contests: we collect your name and email address
- Submit or review manuscripts for Geochemical Perspectives Letters: when you submit or agree to review a manuscript for Geochemical Perspectives Letters, your personal information (name, email address and optionally your organisation) is collected through the web platform PeerTrack/Editorial Manager, provided by Aries Systems Corporation.
- Subscribe to Goldschmidt Conference circulars or Register at Goldschmidt Conferences: when you subscribe to the mailing list to receive Goldschmidt Conferences updates or register to attend a Goldschmidt Conference, your personal information is collected through the conference website, operated until July 2020 by White Iron Conferences, and from August 2020 by Conference Exchange.
Data collected to register at a Goldschmidt Conference includes your name, email address, organisation and postal address, and optionally your photo, twitter account, Facebook ID, URL to personal website and biography. Additional data collected at the time of registration for a specific conference may also include registration category, conference abstracts, purchases, gender and dietary preference.
When you provide information through one of the mediums described above, we will process the data based on your consent as per Art. 6 (1)(a) of the EU General Data Protection Regulation. You may revoke your consent at any time by making an informal request to the EAG Office.
How does EAG use the information collected?
The use of your personal information is limited to the purposes for which it was collected. This includes delivering the member services described in the membership benefits, conference services or other services you may request. We also use your information to communicate with you.
To fulfil these services, we contract third-party organisations (listed below) and need to share some of your personal information with them. These organisations are committed to protecting the privacy of your data, they do not process it in any way nor disclose it, and use it only for the purpose of the contract we have with them. They are equally committed to complying with data protection regulations.
To fulfil all services related to the administration of memberships, donations, photo contests, job postings or various purchases, EAG uses a web platform developed and maintained by Erudicio SARL, a company based in France and contracted by EAG. The data you provide is directly entered and stored on this platform, and is only accessible by EAG and Erudicio SARL.
To fulfil services related to the administration of your registration at Goldschmidt Conferences, Conference Exchange uses a web platform that they have developed and maintain. The data they collect is shared with EAG and the Geochemical Society, who are the official Goldschmidt Conference owners.
Information about delegates who register as members of partner societies (whose members benefit from reduced registration rates) may also be shared directly with the specific partner society to verify the validity of the membership.
It should be noted that to process credit card payments, EAG uses Payline as payment gateway. We do not keep records of any credit card details.
We use your email address to send you:
- Information about your membership (welcome message, notice of expiration, etc.). If you are a current member and we receive notification that your email address has changed, we may contact you at your new email address.
- EAG monthly newsletters, which keep you updated with society news, sponsorship programs, conference deadlines, new EAG publications or job opportunities. To distribute the newsletter, we use the tools SendBlaster operated by Edisplay S.r.l. and TurboSMTP operated by Delivery Tech Corp. Email addresses are imported into these tools for the purposes of mailing the newsletters and gathering statistics about email opening and clicks.
- Geochemical Perspectives and Geochemical Perspectives Letters e-alerts. To distribute the e-alerts, we use SendBlaster (operated by Edisplay S.r.l.).
- Goldschmidt Conference circulars or surveys. From August 2020, these are sent from the Conference Exchange platform.
Sponsorship applications and award nominations
Personal information submitted to apply for one of the EAG early career sponsorship or award programs is shared with and reviewed by the relevant EAG committees. The information is placed by the EAG Office in a cloud storage, which members of the review committees are given access to.
To enable online subscription to Elements Magazine and post issues to our members who have opted to receive a print copy, we need to share your information (name, email address, postal address and membership number) with the Elements Office, operated by the Mineralogical Society of America. If you have opted for the online subscription only (no print copies), your postal address is not shared.
To send you print copies of Geochemical Perspectives, we need to share your information (name, postal address and membership number) with our contracted mailer, APC Postal Logistics.
Data entered on PeerTrack/Editorial Manager, the platform for submission and tracking of Geochemical Perspectives Letters manuscripts is used to communicate with authors, reviewers, editors and editorial staff. Communication only takes the form of individual email messages.
How long does EAG keep your information for, and how can you access it, modify it, or request its deletion?
We are only allowed to keep your data for as long as it is strictly necessary or until you request its deletion. The length of time for which we keep the data depends on its nature and purpose.
Data provided for membership purposes
From the moment you register to become an EAG member (whether your membership payment is completed or not), you have access to your information through the EAG member login. Once logged in to your account, you can modify your information.
We store your information as long as your membership is active. If your membership expires, as we are under the legal obligation to keep invoices for ten years, your data will be stored on our servers for ten years from the date of expiration of your membership. If you wish, you may request deletion of your records earlier by contacting the EAG Office.
Data provided for donations
Donations can be made at the time of joining EAG or renewing your membership. In such cases, all donation information is available through the EAG member login and storage of the data follows the same procedure as for the data provided for membership purposes.
Donations can also be made independently of membership. In such cases, data will also be stored for ten years. If you wish, you may request deletion of your records earlier by contacting the EAG Office.
Data provided to subscribe to EAG newsletters
If you subscribe to the EAG newsletters but have never registered as an EAG member, you can request modification of your email address through the ‘Update your details’ link at the bottom of the newsletter.
You may choose to unsubscribe through the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of the newsletter. In such a case, your email address will be deleted from our records when your unsubscribe request is processed.
If you have registered to become an EAG member (whether your membership payment is completed or not), you can unsubscribe from the newsletters through the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of the newsletter.
Note that even if your membership expires, we will continue to send you EAG newsletters to keep you informed about EAG activities, geochemistry relevant information, and job opportunities, however you can always unsubscribe through the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of the newsletter.
Data provided to subscribe to Geochemical Perspectives Letters e-alerts
If you subscribe to Geochemical Perspectives Letters e-alerts, you can request modification of your email address through the ‘change your email address’ link at the bottom of the e-alert.
You may choose to unsubscribe through the ‘unsubscribe from e-alerts’ link at the bottom of the e-alert. In such case, your email address will be deleted from our records when your unsubscribe request is processed.
Data provided to subscribe to EAG Blog updates
If you subscribe to receive new posts published on the EAG Blog, you can request to modify your email address or unsubscribe by contacting the EAG Office. Your email address will be deleted from our records when your unsubscribe request is processed.
Data provided to post job advertisements
If you post a job advertisement, all personal data provided (name and email of the contact person) is deleted about two months after the position has been taken offline. You may request deletion earlier by contacting the EAG Office.
Data provided to purchase print copies of Geochemical Perspectives
If you have purchased print copies of Geochemical Perspectives through the Geochemical Perspectives website, as we have a legal obligation to keep invoices we issue for ten years, your data is kept on record for ten years after the order has been placed. You may request deletion of your data earlier by contacting the EAG Office.
Data provided to apply for the Student Sponsorship or Early Career Science Ambassador Programs
If you apply for the Student Sponsorship or Early Career Science Ambassador Programs, your application is kept on record for one year following the application deadline. You may request deletion earlier by contacting the EAG Office.
Data provided to submit an award nomination
Submitted award nominations are kept on record for one year following the last award cycle they were applicable to.
Data provided to participate in photo contests
The EAG photo contests may take place on an irregular basis. Contestants are asked to provide their name and email address, and those records are kept for two years. You may request deletion earlier by contacting the EAG Office.
Data provided on PeerTrack/Editorial Manager for Geochemical Perspectives Letters
If you have submitted a manuscript for Geochemical Perspectives Letters or have been invited to review a manuscript, your information (name and email address) is registered in PeerTrack/Editorial Manager and is accessible through the platform login page. Information can be modified through the ‘Update my information’ link.
As editors may request registered scientists to provide reviews of manuscripts, information is kept on record indefinitely. However, should you wish for your records to be deleted, you may send your request to the Geochemical Perspectives Office.
Data provided to subscribe to Goldschmidt Conference circulars
If you subscribe to the Goldschmidt Conference mailing list but have never registered for a conference, you may unsubscribe through the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of the email received. For your profile to be fully deleted from Conference Exchange records, you may send your request to the EAG Office.
Data provided to register for Goldschmidt Conferences
If you have registered for a Goldschmidt Conference, the data entered in your personal profile is kept on record indefinitely so you do not have to re-enter it every time you register for a conference. Up until July 2020, you can access your information at any time through the link ‘My Goldschmidt -> My Profile’, in the top right-hand corner of the very last or upcoming conference website.
From September 2020, you will be able to access your data through the login of the Goldschmidt2021 website.
To request complete deletion of your records, you may send your request to the EAG Office.
Note that submitted conference abstracts are considered as scientific publications and are archived on the Goldschmidt Archive website.
Where is your data stored?
The data you provide on the EAG website, Geochemical Perspectives website and EAG Blog is stored on EAG servers located in France.
The data you provide on the Geochemical Perspectives Letters website (to subscribe to e-alerts) is stored on EAG servers located in the USA.
The data you provide on Goldschmidt Conference websites is stored on Conference Exchange servers located in the USA.
The data you provide on the PeerTrack/Editorial Manager website is stored on Aries Corporation servers in the USA.
We have implemented reasonable physical measures and administrative procedures to safeguard against unauthorised access and help prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. However, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure. Accordingly, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you transmit to us; any data transmission is at your own risk.
When you browse our websites, EAG does not collect any personal information, only statistical data on an aggregated basis. We use cookie technology to analyse traffic to our websites. We gather information such as the number of visits and page views, the popularity of each page, or the location of our visitors. The purpose of this is to help us understand which information is useful to you and how we might improve your experience when navigating our websites, but again, no personal information is collected through this process.
Our websites contain links to other websites. EAG has no control over and is not responsible for the privacy policies or content of such sites.
You can file a complaint with the Data Protection Authority of your EU member state if it is your opinion that we do not treat your personal information in a fair manner.
Updated June 2020