Nominations for the 2021 F.G. Houtermans Award
Who may submit a nomination?
Anyone may submit a nomination for the EAG Houtermans Award except for the members of the 2021 F.G Houtermans Award Committee and of the EAG Council. They may not nominate a candidate directly nor write a support letter, but they may actively solicit nominations from others.
Who may be nominated?
The F.G. Houtermans Award recognizes scientists who have made a single exceptional contribution to geochemistry, published as a single paper or a series of papers on a single topic, and who are within 12 years from the start of PhD, so for the 2021 award, candidates should have started their PhD in 2008 at the earliest.
These groups may not be nominated:
- the current members of the EAG Council
- the current members of the Houtermans Award Committee
- past recipients of the F.W. Clarke Award
- past recipients of the F.G. Houtermans Award
What are the nomination requirements?
All nominations must include:
- A completed cover sheet; download the form as Word document or as fillable PDF (make sure to open it in your PDF application)
- The principal nominator’s letter (up to 2 pages), including a discussion of the nominee’s major contributions to the field of geochemistry (this letter may be cosigned by up to 3 additional people)
- One letter of support (up to 2 pages)
- A brief (up to 4 pages) CV for the candidate
- A listing of the candidate’s publications
Professional Ethics Disclosure
When submitting a nomination, the principal nominator is asked to check one of the following:
1. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge, the person I have nominated has not been sanctioned or found at fault as the result of a complaint, investigation, or other proceeding related to his/her professional conduct (including harassment allegations), and that he/she is not currently the subject of such an investigation.
2. I am aware that the person I have nominated has been sanctioned or found at fault as the result of a complaint, investigation, or other proceeding related to his/her professional conduct, or that he/she is currently the subject of such an investigation, but would nevertheless like to proceed with the nomination.
Please note that selecting the second case is not necessarily disqualifying, but you may be contacted by a member of the EAG or GS Executive or Ethics Committee for a confidential discussion.
What is the nomination deadline?
The nomination must be received by 15 November 2020 for the 2021 F.G. Houtermans Award.
Once submitted, nominations are held for three award cycles (e.g. 2021-2023). If the nominee becomes ineligible during this period, the nomination will be removed from those being considered. Nominators may update their packages every year to keep them current.
New for 2021
The society has made two changes to the required nomination materials:
- The number of supporting letters is reduced from three to one.
- The principal nominating letter may now have up to 3 signatures in addition to the nominator’s signature.