Nominations for the 2022 F.G. Houtermans Award
Who may submit a nomination?
Anyone may submit a nomination for the EAG Houtermans Award except for the members of the 2022 F.G Houtermans Award Committee and of the EAG Council. They may not nominate a candidate directly nor write a support letter, but they may actively solicit nominations from others.
Who may be nominated?
Nominees must be within 12 years equivalent full time scientific employ from the commencement of their PhD, which must be completed.
Eligibility is determined by the status of the candidate at the close of the year in which nominations are received and not the year the award is presented; hence, for the 2022 F.G. Houtermans Award, candidates should have started their PhD in 2009 at the earliest (but see information on career breaks here).
Nominations of underrepresented groups are encouraged.
We are committed to promoting the diversity of our awardees, to recognizing a wide range of different types of exceptional contribution, and we acknowledge the different career paths that lead to the achievement of such contributions.
These groups may not be nominated:
- the current members of the EAG Council
- the current members of the Houtermans Award Committee
- past recipients of the F.W. Clarke Award
- past recipients of the F.G. Houtermans Award
We do not exclude mentors or mentees (e.g., supervisor-student, post-doctoral employer-employee relationship) from making nominations. We also do not exclude collaborators or members of the same institution as writers of nominator or support letters. We do regard such nominations as a potential conflict of interest if the relationship has been in the past 3 years. Consistent with our Conflicts of Interest Policy, such potential conflict of interest should be acknowledged and communicated to the selection committee as part of the nomination, but do not disqualify the individual from participating.
What are the nomination requirements?
All nominations must include:
- A completed cover sheet; download the form as Word document or as fillable PDF (make sure to open it in your PDF application)
- The principal nominator’s letter (up to 2 pages), including a discussion of the nominee’s major contributions to the field of geochemistry (this letter may be cosigned by up to 3 additional people)
- One letter of support (up to 2 pages)
- A brief (up to 4 pages) CV for the candidate
- A listing of the candidate’s publications
Professional Ethics Disclosure
When submitting a nomination, the principal nominator is asked to check one of the following:
1. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge, the person I have nominated has not been sanctioned or found at fault as the result of a complaint, investigation, or other proceeding related to his/her professional conduct (including harassment allegations), and that he/she is not currently the subject of such an investigation.
2. I am aware that the person I have nominated has been sanctioned or found at fault as the result of a complaint, investigation, or other proceeding related to his/her professional conduct, or that he/she is currently the subject of such an investigation, but would nevertheless like to proceed with the nomination.
Please note that selecting the second case is not necessarily disqualifying, but you may be contacted by a member of the EAG or GS Executive or Ethics Committee for a confidential discussion.
What is the nomination deadline?
The nomination must be received by 15 November 2021 for the 2022 F.G. Houtermans Award.
Once submitted, nominations are held for three award cycles (e.g. 2022-2024). If the nominee becomes ineligible during this period, the nomination will be removed from those being considered. Nominators may update their packages every year to keep them current.
New since 2021
The society has made two changes to the required nomination materials:
- The number of supporting letters is reduced from three to one.
- The principal nominating letter may now have up to 3 signatures in addition to the nominator’s signature.
Nomination deadline for the 2022 F.G. Houtermans Award:
Questions regarding nominations for the Houtermans Award may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.